Summer 08

Friday, September 12, 2008

Grandma Bernice Hutchinson


My grandma was born September 5, 1919 and died just before her 89th birthday on August 24, 2008 of natural causes 7 years after her husband Howard Hutchinson passed away. I had the privilege of taking Zach out to see her in May before she passed away and I am so glad that I did. She was an example to me all the way to the end. I guess I got my motor mouth from my grandma because she is always talking to people. When I went to see her in the senior center she was always looking for ways to talk with everyone about the church. She loved writing to the missionaries and one of my favorite stories is when we were living in Illinois and Shaun was the Ward Mission Leader. We had the Elders and Sisters over for a meeting and I had one of my grandma's letters out and one of the Sister missionaries said, how do you know Sister Hutchinson? I said how do you know my grandma? She was from my grandmas' home ward and wrote to Jana (sorry, I can't remember her missionary name) weekly. I said, "Well you hear from her more than I do." She loved to write, I didn't get that from her, I'm more a talker. Can't get it all. She also loved to crochet. I think everyone she knew had at least a dozen afghans. I hear she had at least a truck load of yarn at her house at any given time. Don't ask for any because its an all or nothing deal and they keep finding more. She loved spending time with the other widows after my grandpa died and those that are left will sure miss her. She loved to help others it brought her great joy. They read a poem at her funeral that I really liked because it reminds me of her philosophy and I think it would be good for me as well. As far as I know it doesn't have a name and I don't know who the author is. But it goes as such:

Outside my window, a new day I see
And only I can determine
What kind of day it will be.
It can be busy and sunny, laughing and gay
Or boring and cold, unhappy and gray.
My own state of mind is the determining key
For I am only the person I let myself be.
I can be thoughtful and do all I can to help,
or be selfish and think just of myself.
I can enjoy what I do and make it seem fun
Or gripe and complain and make it hard on
someone.
I can be patient with those who may not
understand
or belittle and hurt them as much as I can.
But I have faith in myself
And believe what I say
And I personally intend to make
The best of each day.

No comments: